Ever since I can remember, my mother would always prepare roast beef for Christmas Dinner. We would have an option of two different starches. Since I am Filipino, rice is a given to be at the table. Potatoes would be the other starch. We have carried on this tradition in our family. I had prepared twenty pounds of herb crusted rib roast and was fortunate enough to have left overs the next day. This beautiful cut doesn’t need to be over complicated with complex side dishes. It does just well with an over easy egg and grilled tomato. This is my go to brunch meal and I always order this if I see it on the menu. Look for the rib roast recipe below.
Herb Crusted Rib Roast
4 lb Rib Eye Roast Boneless
1/2 c Fresh chopped Rosemary
1/2 c Fresh chopped Parsley
1/4 c Fresh chopped Oregano
1/4 c Fresh chopped Thyme
1/4 Freshly ground Black Pepper
1 T Red Pepper Flakes
2 cloves minced garlic
2 sticks butter
- Temper roast before baking and pull out of fridge 1 hour before cooking.
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- In a mixer with paddle attachment place butter, herbs, black pepper, red pepper flakes, and garlic. Mix until all ingredients are incorporated in butter.
- Pat roast dry. Place fat side up on the roasting rack.
- With your hands liberally spread herbed butter over the top of the roast.
- Bake at 425F for 20 minutes. Bring oven temperature down to 350F and bake for 1 hour and 30 minutes. Thermometer should read 120F. Let rest for at least 20 minutes before carving.
- Make gravy out of drippings! Enjoy.
The general rule of thumb is to cook the roast 15 minutes for every pound.